Wednesday 8 July 2015

Concert Commentary - Timeflies @ 107.5 Live Lounge in Des Moines, IA

Depending on how much you stalk me, you may or may not know that in the fall of 2014 I interned for iHeartMedia (iHeartRadio) in Des Moines. I got to do amazing stuff while I was an intern like see Jake Miller, Rixton, and go to a couple Iowa Wild games which I never would have went to if I wasn't interning. But, the whole rundown is for another time, the point is that even though I'm not an intern anymore I still have little to no shame calling in favors whenever my favorite bands come through town, lucky enough when one of my loves, Timeflies, came to the 107.5 Live Lounge they had an extra seat for me! Which helps me segue into my first ever concert commentary!

The show started at 7 and I got to the iHeartMedia building pretty late, at about 6:50 and was lead down to the basement to the back of a pretty long line, which was expected for someone who shows up less than 10 minutes before a show starts.


At around 7:10 we were lead into the lounge and 107.5 DJ Josh Martinez introduced them. They answered some fan questions (I didn't ask any, I never do unless divine inspiration strikes), played a mash up of songs from After Hours, and then answered some more questions. Then they did what--in my opinion--sets Timeflies well above all others, they did the freestyle rap. So if you don't know what that is it's a rap completely made up on the spot. In smaller venues they ask the audience for a list of like 25 words that Cal has to work into the freestyle and have it make some sort of sense. It's so amazing to watch him work things like "Sprinkler Valve" and "Ruby Rose" into a rap that honestly I would probably buy on iTunes. 


Here's one similar to what I heard (skip to :35):





After that, they answered some more fan questions before playing their latest single Worse Things Than Love, which I hadn't heard yet and really enjoyed.
Then, we were lead outside one by one to take pictures with Timeflies and grab a signed picture from an intern (my old job :'C) and then I headed home. The whole process took about an hour and 20 mins and was definitely time well spent. Next I just have to find a real show that I can go to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment